Join wild food enthusiast, Ken Greenway, for a foraging experience at the amazing award-winning Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park, one of London’s Magnificent Seven Victorian Cemeteries. Closed to burials since 1966 and a designated public park and Local Nature Reserve, the park has an extraordinary diversity of both woodland and meadow plants.
The event will include:
- A guided walk to safely identify wild foods and enjoy samples of the plants along the way
- Tips on where and how to forage
- Learning to identify edible plants
- Take samples home to turn into your own wild creations
- Information on the health benefits of wild foods
- Opportunity to ask Ken questions
- Digital foraging info recommended by the park supplied after the walk
- Numbers limited to 15 with Covid-19 safety guidelines in place (We're still offering handwashing, encouraging social distancing and require masks to be worn when using the building for toilets)
“THCP is nothing short of stunning and Kenneth, my Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park guide, is unbelievably knowledgeable about edible plants.” Wild Food Walk participant
Ken Greenway is site manager of THCP and is also an accredited Humanist celebrant, Horticulture Manager for Grounded Ecotherapy and the course leader on Forage London’s event ‘Wild Food, Wild Nature’. Ken studied Environmental Biology at the University of Greenwich and has worked at THCP since 2002 where he has developed his intimate knowledge of the site as well as his passion for wild food and foraging. Ken is also a Come Dine with Me winner!
Fee*: £40 (£30 Concession/£10 unwaged**) inclusive of VAT. Please come weather-prepared (the class will not be cancelled in case of wet weather).
* All proceeds help fund our community meal service which has become a critical food support service delivering 70,000 free nutritious, tasty meals per year to households struggling to access food, and is needed now more than ever by our community.
** Concessionary rate available for students, pensioners, unemployed and low waged.
Refunds: we require a minimum of 7 days' notice for any cancellations or transfers once you have booked onto a class.
For information: firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 8442 4266
Location: Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park, Southern Grove, Mile End, London E3 4PX (a short walk from Mile End Tube Station in E3)