We are excited to give you the chance to record yourself to 7" live at this year's Secret 7" exhibition.
A limited number of people will have the chance to enjoy 15 minutes in our makeshift recording studio and vinyl factory at Somerset House. You'll leave with one copy of a recording cut to a 7" as you perform. It will be truly one-of-a-kind, just like the sleeves in our exhibition.
This is your chance to make your own masterpiece – be it a musical performance, spoken word or even a personal message. We welcome all types of ability. In the true spirit of Secret 7" this is intended to be fun and have an unknown quality to it. The performances, recording and live cutting of vinyl will all be visible to the public.
There are a few guidelines you should understand before booking. It is essential we follow these in order to make this project possible.
- Your session will be a maximum of 15 minutes long
- You will need to arrive 15 minutes prior to your chosen time. If you are late, we are unlikely to be able to fit you in
- You must only use the musical equipment provided, listed below
- There is a maximum of four performers allowed in the room. The recording will sound better with less people.
- You will have one take in your 15 minutes to record live to 7"
- Your recording must be no longer than 5 minutes
- There will be a short soundcheck before the take to get levels for the recording
- You will not have headphones and will hear only what is coming from your instruments
The follow instruments will be there for you to use with the greatest respect:
- Acoustic guitar x 2
- Electric guitar (with small amplifier)
- Electric bass guitar (with small amplifier)
- Electric piano
- Various hand percussion and bongos
Listen to an example of what we expect to be able to cut live to vinyl from a solo acoustic performance.
This project would not be possible without Broadfields Studio and One Cut Vinyl. All the profits from these events will be added to our total raised for Nordoff Robbins.
We look forward to hearing you!