When: Sunday 12 January 2020, 9.30am - 11am
Where: Meet outside The Founder's Arms,
SE1 9JH. Please note this meeting location has been changed from The Globe Theatre
Tickets: £9.50, concs £7.50
Join us for a special one off guided photography walk led by photographer and Thames enthusiast Hannah Smiles. The session will form part of our #ThamesLens photography competition, the deadline of which we have just extended to Friday 31 January 2020.
Head to the foreshore in front of the Globe Theatre and discover the fascinating range of objects and debris that are uncovered at low-tide. This year's #ThamesLens theme is Thames Discovered, making this walk the perfect opportunity to capture your winning shots.
'Foreshore Secrets' will focus on what the Thames hides on the foreshore, the 'beach' uncovered at low tide, including:
- Hidden Treasures, historical objects that conjure mudlarks down to the river. Whilst you cannot remove these from the foreshore, they will last forever in the photos you take!
- Decay and Organic Matter and the twisting, altering effect that the Thames has on objects found on the foreshore. Rotting Victorian jetties, stairs giving way to rust, mangled flotsam and jetsam - the perfect framing devices for your Thames focused shots.
- Plastic Pollution that is wreaking havoc on our waterways. Capture and depict this issue, much of which is hidden in plain sight right under our noses in the River Thames. Even this area of the Thames that is relatively plastic clear has cable ties, wrappers and more hidden in nooks and crannies.
Hannah will guide you from the foreshore in front of The Tate Modern to Cannon Street Rail Bridge, providing photography tips, guidance, and compositional advice focused on the above areas, along this fascinating stretch of foreshore, which features ancient tree roots, Victorian Jetties, and much more to be discovered.
You don't need a professional camera for this walk - film cameras, smartphones, SLR cameras and anything in-between are welcome!
- Please bear in mind before buying a ticket that this stretch of the foreshore is rocky, uneven and muddy in places. Make sure you wear sensible, supportive foot wear such as walking shoes
- Please make sure you wrap up warm for the walk
- Suitable for ages 14+. Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult
- Access to the foreshore is by stairs only
You will be encouraged to submit photos that you take on the walk into #ThamesLens by the deadline of Friday 31 January. Find out more about the competition here.
Hannah is a London-based, self-taught photographer with over 10 years experience. Her recent portrait commission from the Thames Festival Trust opened up the Thames foreshore to her. Over a year, she photographed the people who are a part of London’s diverse and passionate mudlark community, which culminated in the Foragers of the Foreshore exhibition in September 2019.