Following new research revealing that the average office worker spends 90% of their working day sat down and not moving, David Lloyd Clubs is launching a new café giving customers the chance to ‘pay’ for their lunch with a six-minute micro workout. The café, called ‘Run For Your Bun’, aims to encourage workers to be more active during the working day and highlight the important role that a balanced diet and regular exercise play in a healthy lifestyle.
Upon arrival at the venue, diners will be invited to choose a lunch item from the menu prior to beginning a high intensity interval (‘HIIT’) workout to be used as their method of payment for the meal. Once the workout has been completed, guests are then invited to take a seat in the café area and refuel with their delicious chosen lunch.
The quick ‘HIIT’ (high-intensity interval training) workout includes one-minute on a rowing machine, one minute on a spin bike and one minute on a treadmill, as well as 60-seconds of sit-ups, bodyweight squats and lunges, with 30-second rest periods between each exercise.
The lunch options at Run For Your Bun
- Smashed avocado with cherry tomatoes, goats cheese, chilli and lime on toasted wholemeal bread
- Giant cous cous with apricots, raisins, pine nuts, lemon, coriander and fresh basil with a balsamic dressing
- Grilled chicken breast burger with tomato, red onion and garlic mayo
- Pitta pockets with mixed salad and a choice of smoked salmon or grilled halloumi filling
Run For Your Bun café is located on 3 Slingsby Place and is open to the public on Wednesday 11th, Thursday 12th and Friday 13th January, between 11:40am and 3pm each day. One ticket booking permits entry to the venue for one at the allotted time.
Please note this is a ticket-only event. Only people with a booking will be allowed entry to the café.
Guests are asked to bring their own workout attire. Changing areas and a cloak room will be provided, though please note there are no showers at the venue.
So why has David Lloyd done this?
Importantly, the cafe isn’t about encouraging people to ‘cancel out’ their food by exercising all of the calories away. Rather, it sets out to help people understand the benefits of committing to a healthy amount of regular exercise together with a balanced diet, rather than trying to ‘neutralise’ meals by over-exercising.
Indeed, the workout ‘payments’ at Run For Your Bun will only burn off a proportion of the calories contained in the lunch items. Our main aim for the café is to help people recognise the importance of everyday exercise and better understand how food and fitness go hand-in-hand when it comes to leading a healthy lifestyle.
Terms & Conditions
Run For Your Bun Café
Acceptance of these rules is a condition of reservation and reservation instructions form part of these rules. Reservation indicates acceptance of these rules.
1. Entry to Run For Your Bun café is permitted to those with a valid ticket reservation. A ticket reservation does not guarantee entry. The David Lloyd Run For Your Bun Café is open at 3 Slingsby Place, London, WC2E 9AB between 11:40am and 3:00pm on Wednesday 11th, Thursday 12th and Friday 13th January 2017.
2. Ticket reservations will operate on a first-come-first-served basis. Once all ticket reservations have been allocated the reservations page will no longer accept reservations. One ticket booking permits entry to the venue for one at the allotted time.
3. Upon arrival at the venue, guests will be invited to choose a lunch item from the menu prior to beginning the 10-minute high intensity interval (‘HIIT’) workout as their method of payment. Once the workout is complete, guests will then be invited to make their exercise payment to one of the café’s personal trainers before cooling down, taking a seat at their table, and eating their meal. Guests are asked to depart the venue one hour after the initial time of entry.
5. Ticket reservations must be made personally. Reservations made through agents/third parties, bulk reservations or automated reservations are invalid. No multiple reservations from a single IP address will be valid. No reservations submitted via any other means will be accepted. The promoter cannot guarantee uninterrupted or secure access to the web entry route. Any mechanical reproduction or automated reservations are prohibited, and any use of such automated devices will cause disqualification. Proof of submitting a reservation is not proof of receipt by the promoter. The promoter is not responsible for lost, damaged, incomplete, illegible or delayed reservations, such reservations will be void.
6. Individuals that are successful in securing a ticket reservation will receive an e-mail confirmation from Billetto confirming their reservation. If successful individuals have not received this e-mail they should e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. There will be no paper tickets. Successful individuals with a reservation are required to bring a print-out of their confirmation email, or show it on a smartphone, at the door.
8. By entering the café premises all visitors consent to photography, video recording and its/their release, publication, exhibition, or reproduction to be used for news, promotional purposes, inclusion on websites, or any other purpose by the promoter its affiliates and representatives. You release the promoter, its partners and each and all persons involved from any liability connected with the taking, recording, digitising, or publication of photographs, video and/or sound recordings. Photographers and videographers at the event will be identified as such by wearing badges.
9. Except for any liability that cannot be excluded by law, the Promoter (including its officers, employees and agents) excludes all liability, for any injury sustained, loss, or damage (including loss of opportunity); whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of the Event, including, but not limited to, where arising out of the following: any theft, unauthorised access or third party interference; or any tax liability incurred by any attendee.
10. David Lloyd Clubs shall not be held liable for systems failures at Billetto either via the signing up process or in the allocation of each successful ticket reservation; neither can they be held responsible for the acts or omissions of other third parties involved in this promotion.
11. The promoter may add, withdraw or substitute artists and/or vary advertised programmes, event times, and venue capacity without prior notice.
12. The promoter, Cow and the venue owner may postpone, cancel, interrupt or stop the event due to adverse weather, dangerous situations, or any other causes beyond his reasonable control.
13. Each visitor’s details (name and county) will be made available on request by writing to email@example.com within ten weeks after the published closing date, enclosing a current email address.
14. David Lloyd Clubs reserves the right to exclude any reservations that they believe to be fraudulent or based on misconduct.
15. Individuals agree that their personal information will be used for the purposes of administering the activity and in connection with any advertising mentioned in these Terms and Conditions. Please note that in processing the information in this way the promoter may disclose such information to other companies in its group or to third parties employed by the promoter.
16.There is no cash or other alternative to the ticket reservations in whole or in part. Reservations are not transferable. The promoter reserves the right to reclaim the reservation if it is transferred.
17.The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend this promotion due to events or circumstances arising beyond its control.
18. Any question concerning the legal interpretation of the rules will be based on English law and the Courts of England and Wales will have exclusive jurisdiction.