Join the incredible multi-talented Bettylicious all the way from her family home in Sierra Leone to learn how to cook West African vegan soul food.
This recording of a live class will include:
- Learn to make a hearty Groundnut, Chick pea, Carrot & Spinach Stew - a classic West African dish
- How to make ‘Bettylicious’ Jollof Rice, a popular West African rice dish, commonly served on special occasions and for celebrations
- How to create wholesome and nutritious plant based African dishes
- Link to recording valid for 7 days
- Recipe handout
For ingredients and equipment needed see below
Groundnut Chickpea, Carrot & Spinach Stew from the Community Comfort recipe book * coordinated by Riaz Phillips
*Little heads up all the recipes are not vegan (but there is a veggie and vegan section) & we're happy to help with veganising tips for any of the non-vegan dishes.
- 1 medium onion, quartered (roughly chopped)
- ½ scotch bonnet pepper, deseeded (or any chilli)
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 sweet red pepper, deseeded, quartered and roughly chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes or 2 medium fresh tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 200ml cold water
- 2 medium carrots, chopped into 1” chunks
- 2 tins / 800g of chickpeas drained and rinsed with water
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter (crunchy or smooth)
- 150g / 2 heaped handfuls of baby spinach (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
‘Bettylicious’ Jollof Rice
- 2 cups of basmati rice
- 3 large fresh tomatoes or 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 3 – 4 medium sized onions (English, Spanish or brown)
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 inch of fresh ginger
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic
- 1 large red sweet pepper (deseeded)
- Half a scotch bonnet pepper (or any chilli)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 vegetable stock cubes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable/sunflower oil
- Chopping board
- Pestal and mortar
- 2 Knives
- Vegetable peeler
- Several wooden spoons
- 1 mixing bowl
Fee*: £15 Standard / £7.50 Concessions**/ £3 Unwaged
*All funds raised go towards our community meal service providing free nutritious, tasty meals to households who need them during these challenging times.
**Concessionary rate available for students, pensioners and low waged
If you are able to donate to our crowdfunder please visit https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/...
If you would like to be added to our FREE online community class mailing list - just drop a line to email@example.com. Please note that, in the interest of fairness, opportunities to attend free classes are limited.
Refunds: we require a minimum of 7 days' notice for any cancellations or transfers once you have booked onto a class.
For information: firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 8442 4266
Location: Zoom, details to be provided via email (usually the day before the class). Check your junk mail if need be!
beautiful image by @minhasjanta