Fascinated by fungi? Or ever marvelled at the mysteries of mushrooms? Do you have a garden, allotment or small holding? Then this one-day course is for you!
Starting out with a short introduction to fungal biology and ecology, we will explore how incredibly strange and important this hidden Kingdom of Fungi is, to ourselves and all life on Earth. Once we’ve established an understanding of what fungi are and how they live, we will then work practically with several outdoor growing techniques that can be applied to produce a range of delicious edible fungi in any garden or allotment.
The course will cover:
- An introduction to the biology, life cycles and ecology of fungi
- Growing fungi in ground level and raised bed systems
- Log cultivation and natural culture techniques
- Cold fermentation of substrate
- Growing in containers
- Choice species of edible and medicinal fungi
- Site selection and observations
- Choosing and grading substrate
- Sourcing materials
- Irrigation, care and maintenance
This course is open to anyone with an interest in fungi and is suitable for total beginners, through to those who have some experience but would like to learn better techniques.
Comments from previous participants:
“This has been a seriously interesting course and I feel like I’ve opened the door to a fascinating world that I knew very little about before. Rich used very accessible language and teaching styles which were greatly appreciated.”
“Excellent delivery from an extremely knowledgeable tutor. Interesting and fun! The weekend of learning has been inspiring and has held my attention from start to finish.”