Join chef Mark Breen to learn how to make hand-made pasta using plant-based ingredients, how to dress your pasta with complimentary flavours, and you'll also create a seasonal Italian dessert.
The class will include:
- Making delicious Italian dishes using traditional skills and seasonal ingredients.
- How to make and hand-roll a buckwheat wholegrain pasta dough.
- Make a fresh, vibrant and nutritious walnut pasta pasta sauce with crispy Cavalo Nero.
- Dress and plate your pasta with colours, textures and flavours that compliment and contrast.
- Create a wonderful Italian lemon & rosemary sticky polenta cake with only natural sweeteners to complete the perfect meal.
- Learn knife skills from a professional
- Opportunity to ask Mark questions
- Recipe handout
For ingredients and equipment needed see below
Mark Breen is a classically trained chef who loves showing people how to cook what is seasonal, and at its best at any given time. His passion is teaching people how to cook with skill and enjoyment to create beautiful and tasty dishes that are good for your taste-buds, bodies and soul. When Mark isn’t working with Made In Hackney or as a private chef, he’s usually in the kitchen at home perfecting flavour blends or creating ferments and pickles.
- A rolling pin
- Big bowl will be useful to make the pasta
- A blender, Nutribullet or processer will be useful for the pasta sauce
- A cake tin and baking sheet if you would like to do the cake
- The usual kitchen odds and ends you would find in most kitchens
- 240 grams buckwheat flour
- 240 grams pasta flour
- 200 millilitres water
- A pinch of finely grated nutmeg or nutmeg powder (optional)
Walnut and crispy cavalo nero pasta sauce
- 150 grams of walnut halves toasted and then soaked (if you’re a few short or a few over it’ll be fine, save a few toasted but not soaked nuts to garnish)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 tablespoons of nutritional yeast (or a small wedge of Vegan Parmesan or other alternative)
- ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg grated or powder
- 200 millilitres of oat milk (or what you have available)
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- About 10 leaves of cavalo nero, shredded (can substitute for curly kale or tenderstem broccoli)
- Olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Serve with 500 grams of pasta
Vegan rosemary and lemon shortbread
- 180 grams of plain flour
- 170 grams of fine polenta
- 130 grams of icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoons of rosemary leaves, chopped
- 2 lemons, zested
- 215 grams of olive oil
Fee*: £20 Standard / £10 Concessions**/ £5 Unwaged
*All funds raised go towards our community meal service providing free nutritious, tasty meals to households who need them during these challenging times.
**Concessionary rate available for students, pensioners and low waged
If you are able to donate to our crowdfunder please visit https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/...
If you would like to be added to our FREE online community class mailing list - just drop a line to email@example.com. Please note that, in the interest of fairness, opportunities to attend free classes are limited.
Refunds: we require a minimum of 24 hours' notice for any cancellations or transfers once you have booked onto a class.
For information: firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 8442 4266
Location: Zoom, details to be provided via email (usually the day before the class). Check your junk mail if need be!