The incredible Bettylicious is back! Join plant based chef Betty all the way from her family home in Sierra Leone to learn how to cook West African plant based soul food..
The class will include:
- Learn to make a hearty Sa Leone Punke (Pumpkin) Wan Pot Soup
- How to make tasty and nutrition-packed Cassava Leaf Cakes (dumplings)
- Make and enjoy a floral thirst-quenching tropical Bissap and Ginger Tea alcohol-free punch, a drink rooted in African and Caribbean culture and tradition
- How to create wholesome and nutritious plant based African dishes
- A chance to ask Betty questions
- Recipe handout
For ingredients and equipment needed see below
Betty Vandy, owner of Bettylicious Cooks has been travelling across West Africa; Ghana, Liberia, Ivory Coast and Sierra Leone for the past 8 months exploring Food, Farming and African people keeping the rich West African culinary legacy alive. A graduate in Hospitality Management and a plant based chef with an interest in West African plant based ingredients and cooking, Betty’s interest was driven by personal health issues, which she overcame through a change in her eating habits, as well as the lack of African food representation in mainstream media and culinary platforms.
Bettylicious Cooks provides street food stalls at festivals and carnivals, corporate and private events. Betty also runs cooking classes to empower people within diverse communities to learn to cook wholesome and nutritious African food. She has a witty yet serious podcast; Plantain and Politics, a reflection of her passion for plant based food and representation. Betty is also part of the team behind the UK Vegans of Colour event, the first of its kind which successfully launched in 2019.
Fee: £20 (£10 concession). All funds raised go towards our community meal service providing free nutritious, tasty meals to households who need them during these challenging times.
If you are able to donate more than this please visit https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/...
If you are unable to donate you can register your interest in our new FREE online community classes - just drop a line to firstname.lastname@example.org
Sa Leone Wan pot Punke Soup
- 2.5 kg Fresh Pumpkin
- 1 kg Yam or sweet/Irish potatoes (Puna or yellow yams are good varieties)
- 400g Butter Beans (Any tinned variety)
- 4 small eggplants
- 2 large carrots
- 1 handful Freshly chopped spinach
- 1 Sweet red pepper (or green)
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 chilli pepper (deseeded medium heat) any variety.
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme or 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 1 tbsp. Sunflower oil
- 3 – 4 cups of water
- 1 Vegetable stock cube
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cassava leaf cakes (Dumplings)
- 1 cup (175g) Self raising/plain flour
- 1 cup Crushed cassava leaf. Available frozen/fresh in African/Caribbean/Asian markets. Or finely shredded fresh spinach, kale or a green leaf of your choice are excellent alternatives.
- 1 cup water
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
Spicy Bissap and Ginger tea punch
- 2 cups of dried hibiscus or 100 gram pack
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 cup palm coconut sugar/white sugar
- 3 cloves
- 1 stick of cinnamon or 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 Nutmeg, freshly grated or 3 teaspoons ground nutmeg or
- 2.5 pints of cold water
- Chopping board
- Sharp chopping knife x 2
- Medium sized pot x 2
- Pestal and mortar
- Mixing bowl x 2
- Large plate
- 2 wooden spoons for mixing
- Kettle for boiling water
Refunds: we require a minimum of 24 hours' notice for any cancellations or transfers once you have booked onto a class.
For information: email@example.com / 020 8442 4266
Location: Zoom, details to be provided via email (usually the day before the class). Check your junk mail if need be!