This short course, aimed at beginners, will introduce students to the basic skills involved in creating a hardback A5 multi signature book. Students will use a range of materials and will sew, trim and glue their own books.
- Traditional styles and techniques will be used to create the bindings.
- A multi section sewing technique will be covered as well as the application of ribbons and headbands.
- The book pages will be blank but the tutor will show the students how a lined book can be created.
- A hardcover with quarter bound paper and cloth will give the book elegance and durability.
- All tools and materials are supplied. A wide range of paper and cloth will be available so students can create a extremely personal cover design.
This course is aimed at beginners so you will not need any experience in bookbinding to attend the course.
Tutor Joe Dixon
Joe Dixon is a London based bookbinding tutor and book restorer who co-manages the Bookends Bindery. He has been binding and repairing books for over 15 years. A producer of bespoke binding he has focused more in recent years on the conservation of binding. A great deal of his work now involves lettering and tooling books and boxes. If you would like to see some of the work he has produced and full details of courses visit his website.
Ticket is non-refundable, however you are welcome to offer your ticket to another person or reschedule the date of your visit. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
to change the date/event of your booking at least 7 days prior to the event date.
Due to the constraints of our Grade II listed building, the workshop is not currently accessible to wheelchair users or those with limited mobility.