Love Caribbean food but not sure where to start? Take a culinary journey to Jamaica with a plant based version of a much-loved traditional dish of rundown. This is a healthy, hearty, flavoursome stew that is served up with all the typical ground provisions aka hard food (think yam, green banana, dumplings!)...
This live interactive class will include:
- How to make a plant based version of traditional rundown full of bold, balanced flavours with plant based protein
- How to cook yam and green banana
- The culinary history behind traditional Caribbean food and how healthy Jamaican food is cooked
- Opportunity to ask Melissa questions
- Recipe handout
- If you live in local surplus organisation Streetbox's delivery area you can get your veggies and some extra goodies delivered for free! More info below*
Melissa is a clinical scientist, registered nutritionist (AfN), and founder of the Diverse Nutrition Association where she educates people on aspects such as cultural diversity sensitivities, as well as how cultural foods can be a healthy part of anybody’s diet.
*GET YOUR VEGGIES DELIVERED FOR FREE
If you live in local surplus organisation Streetbox's delivery postcodes listed below and book by 5pm the Wed before the class using the promo code 'STREETBOX' you can get your veggies and some extra goodies delivered for free. You will be prompted to supply your full address when booking your ticket.
You must live in Streetbox's delivery postcodes: EC1, EC2, E1, E2, E3, E5, E8, E9, E10, E11, E15, E17, E18, E20, EN4, N1, N2, N3, N4, N5, N6, N7, N8, N9, N10, N11, N12, N13, N14, N15, N16, N17, N18, N19, N20, N21, N22, NW1, NW3, NW5
For ingredients and equipment needed see below
- Basmati rice OR other grain to serve (amount required for how many persons you intend to cook for) PLEASE NOTE: I will be adding some quinoa to my rice so please feel free to do the same if you wish
- 1 x 400 can of coconut milk
- 1 cup water to start with
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- Up to 1 scotch bonnet or red chilli (optional)
- 1 x 400g can of chickpeas
- 1 tbsp all-purpose seasoning or vegetable stock cube
- 1 – 2 green bananas (optional, if you want it and can get it)*
- 1 small slice of yam (maybe 1 – 2 inches thick) (optional, if you want it and can get it)*
- 1 cup of flour and approx. ¾ cups water for dumplings
- 2 tbsp dried thyme or handful of small bunch of fresh thyme
- Salt to taste and black pepper
- *If you wish to use other ingredients from your veg box we can be creative and make with different vegetables, so don’t worry too much…we can use things like breadfruit, pumpkin, butternut squash etc if you want to and have it. The main thing is the coconut cooking down and base ingredients listed towards the top of the ingredients list
- Finely sliced spring onions
- Sliced red chillies ⠀
- Rice cooker or large enough pot to cook rice
- Large and deep pot for stew
- On other large pot for hard food
- Large Knife
Fee*: £20 Standard / £10 Concessions**/ £5 Unwaged
*All funds raised go towards our community meal service providing free nutritious, tasty meals to households who need them during these challenging times.
**Concessionary rate available for students, pensioners and low waged
If you are able to donate to our crowdfunder please visit https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/...
If you would like to be added to our FREE online community class mailing list - just drop a line to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that, in the interest of fairness, opportunities to attend free classes are limited.
Refunds: we require a minimum of 24 hours' notice for any cancellations or transfers once you have booked onto a class.
For information: email@example.com / 020 8442 4266
Location: Zoom, details to be provided via email (usually the day before the class). Check your junk mail if need be!