Colin Wilkie-Jones, Artisan Baker
The class will include:
- The history of bread making
- The basic principles underpinning the art and science of good bread making
- The tools needed to make good bread
- How to make and look after a sourdough starter
- How to knead and shape dough
- How to make good sourdough bread (including Rye)
- How to make slow-rise artisan bread and bagels using a yeast starter (or sponge), as well as recipes for pitta bread and sourdough pizza dough
- How to fit artisan bread making into a busy schedule
- A delicious organic plant based lunch and a variety of recipes to keep (plus your own sourdough starter to take home)
Colin is a self-taught artisan baker with professional experience of baking and selling bread. Finding himself between jobs in 2013, and having always enjoyed good bread (but no longer being able to afford to buy it) he picked up a book on sourdough baking and decided to learn how to make it himself.
Having received positive feedback from family and friends, he put a few loaves on his wife’s (MIH’s very own Veryan Wilkie-Jones) cake stall at his local farmers market, the award-winning Crystal Palace Food Market, and they literally flew off the table. Before he knew it, he was in demand and baking over 100 loaves every Friday night in his kitchen to sell at various farmers markets in South East London.
Colin no longer bakes professionally, but remains passionate about sharing his knowledge and love of baking with others. His focus is on fitting regular bread making around hectic modern lifestyles, without compromising on quality.
Fee*: £70 (£55 Concession) includes a delicious organic plant based lunch.
* This fee is used to fund our programme of free courses to vulnerable and low-income community groups
** Concessionary rate available for students, pensioners, unemployed and low waged
Refunds: we require a minimum of 7 days' notice for any cancellations or transfers once you have booked onto a class.
Vouchers: To redeem a voucher purchased on our site, please contact us to book a place. If contacting us by email please attach your voucher. If telephoning, have your voucher to hand so you can quote the voucher number.
For information: email@example.com / 020 8442 4266